Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Fear of Man?

Why do people fail at achieving their goals and aspirations? Simply not achieving a goal isn't failure in my eyes, but the giving up on a dream is what constitutes failure. Coming short is okay, especially when you have big goals--at least you are pointing in the right direction and achieving progression, which always equals success!

"Fear of failure is probably the second biggest cause of failure. The first is fear of the unknown — just watch any horror movie. The easiest way to overcome these fears is to take action. Don't succumb to the common affliction of paralysis by analysis. Simply forge ahead with your plans. Fear isn't necessarily bad. It can motivate you to achieve even higher levels of success, if you handle it properly. Let fear motivate you, not defeat you."

-Don't Let Fear Get in the Way of Success-for Dummies

So let me get this straight. Fear of the unknown, and fear of failure are the top 2 reasons why people fail--THEY BOTH INVOLVE FEAR!

According to the scriptures, the only thing we should fear is God. in Luke 1:50 it reads, "And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation." And so we see that fear of God is not a bad thing, in fact we obtain his mercy and blessings when we do so. In Psalms 34:4 it reads, " I sought the Lord, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears." So if we fear God, then He is the only one who can help deliver us from our fears.

The problem comes when we fear man more than God.

If we have a goal, and fear of failure is what is keeping us from achieving that goal, than we are essentially fearing the judgments people may place on us, we are fearing flesh and imperfect people around us, instead of doing what we feel is right and trust in a being who is perfect.

"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee." Deuteronomy 31:6

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." Isaiah 41:10

If we don't fear God, then we fear man; if we fear man, then we fail.

No comments: