Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Patience is a virtue...


...that I unfortunately don't naturally possess.

Especially with those who are closest to me.

But this gives me hope.
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."
Ether 12:27



I had another mini-break through in which I controlled what would usually be an outburst of anger due to my impatience. I was calm, I didn't react in the heat of my emotions, and then I calmy expressed how I felt after I was no longer angry. Oh booyea, this felt good!! And brought me closer to my goal of ultimately becoming perfect (hopefully before I die) at being patient.

Everyday I have a series of things I repeat in my mind in the form of "I am ________." I do this multiple times a day, and I know these I ams off the top of my head now (I started in May).

They are all areas in which I am weak, and so what I've done is come with the opposite of my weakness [what I would like to ultimately become] and I say it as if it were true now.

One of these I ams is "I am harmonious."

The theory behind this is to kind of reprogram the things I tend to do and say without thinking, so in a sense things I do innately or genetically. Charles Haanel would say, to reprogram your subconscious.

I have many weaknesses, but I will not sit around hoping they will disappear. We have agency to do with our lives as we please, and I choose to progress.



Our thoughts guide our actions. We must change our thoughts that do not serve us well, and consciously control your actions and reactions--eventually it will become who we are.

1 comment:

Kenny & Brittany said...

I loved this! I am totally going to make a list of "I ams".
I love your blog... it always seems like you are posting things I need! Thanks!
Hope you guys are doing well!